You see stray cats and dogs everywhere you go in Kiev. It’s not uncommon to see packs of 2-3 dogs traveling together or to see 3-4 cats hanging out by dumpsters hoping for some leftovers. Because there are so many of them, people here hardly seem to notice as they hurry by these unfortunate animals.
Now I (Stacie) am quite the animal lover, but I can understand how Ukrainians can be insensitive to the needs of stray animals when they face much bigger social issues such as the over 60,000 children currently living in orphanages in their country. No offense to any PETA members reading this blog, but I still subscribe to the notion that people are more important than animals.
After being in this environment for several weeks, I started to notice the stray dogs and cats less and less. It was beginning to seem normal to see them everywhere we traveled around town. And then came Snezhinka…
It was bitterly cold last night as we made the trek home from the closest Metro stop to our apartment. Kaitlyn and I volunteered to stop at the grocery store and Megan and Trace opted to get back to the apartment to start thawing out. Kaitlyn and I got all the necessities (Diet Coke, sausage, and crackers) and were walking out of the store when I heard Kaitlyn say “Mama, look!” I turned around just in time to see a tiny gray kitten attempting to make her way out of the freezing night air and into the warmth of the grocery store!!
She looked to be in imminent danger of being trampled by the shoppers who were rushing by her or of being purposely stomped on by the portly security guard who was on duty. He seemed to be the only person other than us who had noticed her and he also looked like he would take great pleasure in ridding the store of this little, furry intruder. So, without thinking, I ordered Kaitlyn to scoop her up, I tucked her inside my coat, and we hurried out of the store before the security guard could get his hands on our little friend.
Kaitlyn and I started the two-block walk home with me lecturing her on how we were just going to move the kitten to a safer location and that we would not – under any circumstances – be taking her into the apartment with us. After we had gone about 50 feet, the kitten peeked out of my coat to check out the scenery and both Kaitlyn and I began to carry on a conversation with her…fifty more feet and we were talking about what we should name her. As we watched snowflakes land on her sweet, little face, we agreed that her name should be the Russian equivalent of snowflake – Snezhinka.
She is a sweet little girl and we have thoroughly enjoyed her today. She is alternately playful, affectionate, and sleepy in about 30 minute intervals. In one day we have managed to gather cat food, toys, and a litter box. (Megan wasn’t with me to translate so I had to manage “Cat Toilet” all by myself.) But we really aren’t keeping her! No, I’m serious! Maybe we will just pass her along to the next unsuspecting Birmingham family to arrive in Kiev!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment